About Dr Thompson
About Dr Thompson
Brian Thompson is a licensed psychologist (Ore. #2095) and part of the Portland Psychotherapy Clinic, Research, and Training Center, an organization dedicated to providing evidence-based treatment and conducting original research. He is an active blogger and has contributed posts about OCD for a lay-oriented blog, The Art and Science of Living Well, and one aimed at professionals, Science-Based Psychotherapy.
In addition to working with OCD, Brian is experienced in working with other obsessive-compulsive related disorders: repetitive hair pulling (trichotillomania) and skin picking (excoriation).
- Dr. Thompson is a member of the International OCD Foundation and completed their Behavior Therapy Training Institute.
- Dr. Thompson is a member of the Trichotillomania Learning Center and completed their Virtual Professional Training Institute.
- After finishing his doctorate, Dr. Thompson completed postdoctoral training in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (act for short), an evidence-based mindfulness and acceptance-based cognitive-behavioral treatment with recognized research support in treating OCD. Thompson has published ACT-related research and provided training and consultation in ACT to other professionals.
- BA in Psychology – Pennsylvania State University
- MA in Counseling – Naropa University
- MA in Clinical Psychology – The University of Montana
- PhD in Clinical Psychology – The University of Montana
- Pre-doctoral Internship – Portland VA Medical Center
- Post-doctoral Fellowship – Portland Psychotherapy Clinic, Research, & Training Center, Portland
Dr. Thompson has served as an ad hoc reviewer of manuscripts for several professional journals. He has been involved in various trainings, presentations, workshops, symposiums, and panel discussions for professional organizations and at international conferences. He is serving as President for the Oregon chapter of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (2015-2016).